Friday 19 November 2010

The Wire or The Sopranos?



So which camp are you in? Are you a fan of the gritty realism of The Wire or the slick Hollywood pizzazz of The Sopranos? This question always rears its ugly head when I chat with mates about the two. But I, like a mother with her progeny, have always found it impossible to say because I love both equally. Or do I?

Just like with long novels, I find that every time I sit down to watch a lengthy series, I invest so much in the characters emotionally that I am shocked, saddened and indignant when anything happens to a major character. And this was no truer than in these two landmark television series. I actually watched The Sopranos after I watched The Wire and that might also have had an effect on my inability to decide. For I can’t really separate McNulty from Tony Soprano, or Ralphie from Omar, despite Tony being the more obvious protagonist and Omar being the most unique character in T.V. crime drama. They’re all just too good.

But, I think what it all boils down to, given the proliferation of great writing, memorable characters and artistic achievement in both series is one’s preference of style. Is it the novelistic Wire or the cinematic Sopranos? Both are densely plotted, slow-burning monuments to what the medium of television can do but reflect different visions of reality and the American Dream; The Wire’s is a colder vision, where corrupt institutions crush the little man, The Sopranos is an ostensibly warmer (but ultimately bitter) take on the effect of family and violence on the American male.

So which on is for you? Or, like me, could you not say and prefer to enjoy each on its own (not insignificant) merits?

For anyone who has already seen all of The Wire, feast you eyes on this:100 Best Wire Quotes (contains spoilers...)

No comments:

Post a Comment